2020 | be part of it terms & conditions
Gifts and donations to charities fall under a particular regulatory and taxation framework and it is important that we have some terms and conditions for your donation.
You are making a donation towards the charitable aims of Leicester Arts Centre Ltd. We are known as Phoenix, which is our trading name. Leicester Arts Centre Ltd. is our registered name with the Charities Commission (registration number 701078). The charity was founded in 1989.
Our general purpose as a charity is to enrich lives and celebrate ambition and diversity in film and art. Our charitable activities are grouped under the following headings:
- Film and art for all – we reach out to make our film, art and learning programme accessible to people who come from disadvantaged backgrounds or who have disabilities.
- Children and young people – every year, we welcome thousands of children to film, art and learning events at Phoenix and we offer free creative technology workshops.
- Developing future talent – we aim to inspire and support more people to get creative with film and digital technology by providing opportunities to learn and present their work.
By supporting Phoenix 2020 you will help us to expand our charitable activities very significantly.
The 2020 | BE PART OF IT fundraising programme has been created to enable anyone to donate towards Phoenix’s plans to expand its venue. Further details about these plans are available at phoenix.org.uk/2020
- The fundraising programme includes a number of options to donate and different ways in which we will acknowledge donations from individuals and businesses.
- Donation amounts are higher for businesses – which includes any organisation or individual engaged in commercial, industrial or professional activities. Charitable and not-for-profit organisations may donate at the lower ‘individual’ levels.
- All donations accepted through the website are made by payment card. We also accept cash at box office, and for amounts above £500 we accept cheques.
- In common with all registered charities we are constrained by charity law, which means that we are only able to refund a donation in certain exceptional circumstances. If you believe that a donation you have made should be refunded, please contact us within 14 days.
- All donation amounts will be placed in a reserve fund to be used towards our Phoenix 2020 development. If for any reason our plans change – or if our fundraising targets are exceeded – the funds will be invested in our three charitable programmes: Film and Art for All, Children and Young People, and Developing Future Talent.
- If our expansion plans do not take place – for whatever reason – Phoenix will provide the following alternative recognition of your donation:
- On the Big Screen – donor names will appear for six months on our existing screens only.
- Name on the Door – donor names will be placed on an alternative window or door in the existing building for three years.
- Take a Seat – donors will be able to name a seat in one of our existing two screens.
- Your Cinema – donor recognition will be provided at the entrance to one of our existing cinemas.
- Phoenix reserves the right to change the fundraising programme after it starts and if necessary, to close the programme without notice.
- The recognition of your donation is for a fixed period as described, after which time donors’ names will be removed. We will be in touch before this happens to see if donors wish to provide further donations.
- MyPhoenix Members may choose to upgrade to a MyPhoenix Friend card if they make a donation greater than £25. Non-members can become MyPhoenix Friends if their donation amount is greater than £25 and they pay the addition £40 membership joining fee. Read more about MyPhoenix at phoenix.org.uk/myphoenix
- Phoenix reserves the right to refuse to show any messages or names requested by donors which we deem may cause offence.
- Phoenix will not be able to offer donors preferential treatment as a result of their donations. Take a Seat donors will have no entitlement to sit in the sponsored seat for example.
- The fundraising programme is designed to reach a large number of people and to make the process of donating and acknowledging donations simple. For this reason, we are unable to enter into detailed communication with individual donors.
- Donor names may be removed for public view upon request at box office or by emailing [email protected] This will not be possible with the Name on the Door programme and, in the case of Take a Seat, may take up to two weeks to be completed.
- Gift Aid is a tax relief allowing UK charities to reclaim an extra 25% in tax on every eligible donation made by a UK taxpayer. When you donate, you’ll be asked to confirm whether or not you are a UK taxpayer. Please note that Gift Aid can only be reclaimed on donations made by individuals who pay UK income or capital gains tax at a rate at least equal to the amount reclaimed on their donations in the current tax year. It is your responsibility to ascertain whether you qualify for Gift Aid entitlement. If you have any doubts about your entitlement for Gift Aid we recommend you consult your own advisors or HMRC about any accounting, taxation or financial consequences of making a donation that may affect you. Further information on gift aid can be found at https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/giving/gift-aid.htm
- We reserve the right to amend these Donation Payment Terms and Conditions at any time.